Orange Group (Turning 5 years old, January – June)
Green Group (Turning 6 years old, July- December)
Yellow Group (Turning 6 years old, January – June)
- 7:30 Greeting and Planning – The children arrive to greet their teachers and then freely choose activities, games and construction toys in their classrooms. This is also the time where a group of children are able to plan their school day, for review later together with their teacher.
- 7:45 Early Morning Ring A teacher directed time where children share news, discuss the calendar and weather and interesting topics, as well as numeracy, choosing helpers and songs.
- 8:05 Small Group Skills Time – At this time children complete a specific teacher directed activity focussing on skills development. These skills include Pre-reading, Phonics, Audiblox, Listening skills, Numeracy, Fine Motor and Copying skills.
- 8:30 Individual Choice Activity time – During this time children are allowed to play freely in any of the areas in the school including, Fantasy, Creative, Cognitive, Small garden (sensopathic tray, Sand pit and Jungle gyms) and Large Garden (Jungle gyms, Bike track, Ball skills, Large motor activities). Each of these areas is supervised by a qualified teacher and observations are often made on the children’s choices and how they are learning through play. Children are able to move from one activity to another, changing their areas and play activities, initiating their own play and joining in other games and activities.
- In Grade R the children Plan, do and review their choice of activities, groups of children will plan their free-play activities and then evaluate their choices later in the day. This activity guides the children towards making informed, independent decisions as well as learning responsibility and completing what they have planned.
- 9:45 Whole Group Ring Time – A teacher directed time specifically planned for the acquisition of skills and exploration of the chosen theme or topic. Rings include music, movement, P.E, Drama, Cognitive discussion, Object studies and Basic science, Design and Technology.
- 10:15 Snack – Parents provide a healthy snack which children have in their classrooms, with their teacher directing discussion on healthy eating, good manners and interacting with peers.
- 10:45 School Readiness – Our readiness programme is in accordance with the KZN Education department CAPS curriculum, including the concepts of Language, Mathematics and Life Skills. During this time the Grade R children complete academic and concept based, fun tasks and activities readying them for the transition to Grade 1.
- 11:30 Story and Language Extension – A teacher directed time where the children learn concentration, language enrichment and to expand their knowledge and experience through exciting books and stories
- 12:00 Home time
The Birches Grade R offers a balanced education programme designed to develop and encourage independence, critical thinking, problem-solving, self- discovery and the development of basic academic skills for all learning. Children are encouraged to work together, try for themselves, explore and discover the world around them.
Our teachers are well qualified and experienced in the Pre-Primary and Foundation phase, nurturing each child’s individual potential through well-planned, age-appropriate, fun and carefully structured educational tasks and activities.
The development of the whole child whilst learning through play and having the opportunities to learn, explore and discover the world around them is also encouraged in our environmental groups. Young Explorers and Adventure Club, meet on a weekly basis in the second and third terms. Children learn about their environment, caring for their surroundings, people, plants and animals; discovering, experimenting and conserving the world around them.